Pediatrics/Baby's head

Question
Top view
Top view  

Side view
Side view  
My daughter is 4 months and 1 week now (c-section delivery). I am worried about the flattened back of her head. Friends and relatives have suggested using a rectangular mustard pillow. Will this be helpful?

Earlier she was mostly looking towards her right side because of which right side of the back of her head is a little more flatter. Now I am trying to make her look towards her left by putting a toy. Also while she is sleeping I put a folded towel at the back of her towards the right side so that she is facing towards left. When will her start getting  normal rounded shape and what should I do to help her get a normal head shape?

Answer
Hi Manisha,

Babies' skull-bones are normally soft and can get flattened if head remains in one position.

Please also note that babies' head is normally bigger as compared to rest of the body. Hence, they don't need any pillow. Even if smallest pillow is placed beneath their head, their neck gets flexed and they feel uncomfortable: The result is that they always "slip down" from their pillow: You will never find them on their pillow: hence, "mustard pillow" or even "horse-shoe shaped pillow" always fails.

Better solution is to keep changing the position of baby after every 4-5 hours (i.e, whenever baby is held up for cleaning etc., when you place back baby, it should be in a different position). Please note that whole body has to be changed (just like older children/ adults turn sides) and not just head. This will prevent further flattening. This is to continue till baby learns turning herself.

Whatever flattening has already occurred: will resolve slowly on its own, with growth of head. This usually takes many months.

Please feel free to ask for any further clarification.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

+91-9818356846, +91-11-45535647

www.KumarChildClinic.com  

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar