Pediatrics/Daughter's ear piercing

QUESTION: Hi there,

My daughter is 14 months old. I had gotten my daughter's ears pierced when she was 1 month old. I noticed later that she gets dry skin in one of the piercings.. All thr time. I need to every now then remove her earring and clean it off which accumulates and form a tiny bump.. Is this a serious issue? And what could it be?

ANSWER: Hi, Asma,

I would first of all be sure the earrings are hypoallergenic.  It sounds like she may have some constant irritation and this may be due to an intolerance to the particular constituents of the earrings. If this doesn't work, you might like to coat the post with a triple antibiotic cream and do this every day for a week.  

Good luck, Dr. Olson

QUESTION: Thanks for the reply.

Well i don't think it is irritation coz i am using medical earrings. Plus, it is just on one ear lobe.. The dried skin is accumulated and it kinda smells funny like cheese.. And i must clean it from now and then coz it forms a lump otherwise..

Hi, Asma,

I would agree that if on only one ear, the chance of an allergic reaction is very slight.  The notion of coating the post with either a triple antibiotic ointment or a product called mupirocin, a prescription in the USA, seems reasonable.  Obviously if this is not getting better, a visit to your doctor is needed.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.