Pediatrics/Potty train son

I am potty training my son. Should I show him how to pee standing up or sitting down at first? He is 3 years old. Should I let him watch me pee standing up to set an example? He saw me pee on a tree in the backyard last week and seemed interested in trying it too.

Hi, Mark,

Most of us do the sitting down technique for all sexes initially.  With my son, as he got older and able to reach the edge of the toilet, we had a lot of good pee "sword fights", that taught him to be a better and more controller person.  If you can do this with a step he can be on to reach the top, go for it.  Watch for the ever present danger of the seat falling down on his penis...ouch!

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.