Pediatrics/Not not eating

Hi, my daughter is 9 years old and mentally handicapped. She hasn't eaten for 2 and a half weeks. I took her to childrens to find out she was constipated. They sent us home with Miralax for the constipation and it is much longer can my daughter go without eating? We have tried everything to try and get her to eat.....we are worried she will need a feeding tube.

Hi, Sharon,

As long as she gets liquids in, she will be fine for a while. Give liquids w lots of nutrition, like Ensure or other supplement.  If she persists in not eating and was a good eater before, consider seeing a feeding specialist for feeding aversion.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.