Pediatrics/Not not eating

Question
Hi, my daughter is 9 years old and mentally handicapped. She hasn't eaten for 2 and a half weeks. I took her to childrens to find out she was constipated. They sent us home with Miralax for the constipation and it is working...how much longer can my daughter go without eating? We have tried everything to try and get her to eat.....we are worried she will need a feeding tube.

Help

Answer
Hi, Sharon,

As long as she gets liquids in, she will be fine for a while. Give liquids w lots of nutrition, like Ensure or other supplement.  If she persists in not eating and was a good eater before, consider seeing a feeding specialist for feeding aversion.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD