Pediatrics/regurgitation in infants

Question
Hi , my baby is almost 2months now . He was post dated baby 40 .4 weeks birth weight 3.9 kg . Now weight is 6.1 kg . From starting he brings up milk after breast feeding .4-7 times a day . Sometimes immediately after burping or after 15-20 mins after burping . My paediatrician says she wiil start perinorm if regurgitation or vomiting doesn't stop . Baby sometimes vomits  also .how safe is perinorm and is there any other alternative to it . I aslo keep baby upright for 20mins after breastfeeding .

Answer
Hi, deepika,

If he has normal exams, is gaining weight and is not fussy consistently after vomiting, then I would call him a "happy spitter" and explain to you it will go away and doesn't need to be treated.  Metoclopramide is a med that we just don't use in this setting in the USA.  It can have side effects and just not worth it if this is a healthy baby.  We in the USA for the "unhappy spitter" or the one not gaining weight, would tend to use and antiacid like ranitidine.  

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD