Pediatrics/vaccination doubt

i have daughter she is now 3.5 month old. She was given pentavac at 6 week and 10 week. But at 14 weeks dr recommend quadrovax. My doubt is that as quadrovax dose not have a Hep B component so, is there any need for hepB monovalent booster dose as she was given birth dose of hep B and two pentavac dose.

Another doubt is, she was also given pneumococcus vaccine at 6, 10 and 14 weeks. Used brand is synflorix. Is it a better one than prevnar. if prevnar is better, can we prefer it at the time booster dose at 1.5 year. is there any risk?

Also want to ask you dr she was regularly taking OPV. She already taken OPV0,OPV1, 2 and 3 dose. she has not given IPV yet. she is now 3.5 month old. if IPV is mandatory what will be its next schedule.

hope you consider my doubts.

Thanking you

ANSWER: Hi Abhilash,

Here are the answers:

1. She could have been given Quadrovax even at 10 weeks. Ideally, 3rd dose of Hepatitis B vaccine should be given at 6 months of age. Even now, I would recommend that she should be given another dose of Hepatitis B vaccine at 6 months of age. No further boosters of Hepatitis B vaccine would be required after that.

2. Prevenar is definitely better. However ideally, series of one brand should be completed. I would recommend that Synflorix only  for booster also. You can get her an extra dose of Prevenar 13 after 2 years of age (single dose), if you wish.

3. IPV is recommended but is in short supply since December 2015. Please keep checking about its availability from your pediatrician. You can get it anytime. 2 doses at 2 months interval would be enough. A booster is recommended at 18 months of age, or 6 months after the 2nd dose, whichever is later.

Please feel free to ask for any further clarification...

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

+91-9818356846, +91-11-45535647  

QUESTION: Dr i need some clarifications,

Is there any risk relating to change between pentavac and quadrovax (she was given two pantavac at 6 and 10 weeks and one quadrovax at 14 week)?

I wish to give her HEP b vaccine at 6 months. My doubt is, It should be a single vaccine for hep b or combination of vaccine like pentavac?  Can you recommend some good brands for this?

Hi Abhilash,

Here are the answers:

1. There is no risk. In fact, it is recommended since Hepatitis B vaccine is not needed at 10 and 14 weeks.

2. Only Hepatitis B vaccine (NO combination) is needed at 6 months. Many good brands are available: Please contact your pediatrician for the same.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

+91-9818356846, +91-11-45535647  

Dr. Puneet Kumar

I would be happy to answer general queries on prevention and treatment of ailments in newborn, infant, toddler, child or an adolescent. Needless to say, it will not be possible to answer any query requiring specific diagnosis of a particular subject.

I have worked in various capacities (medical officer, resident, senior resident, consultant) in public as well as private sector in Pediatrics and Neonatology. Today, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.

Currently, I am running my own clinic (Kumar Child Clinic) in Dwarka, New Delhi and am attached to Lifeline Hospital, Dwarka as consultant pediatrics and neonatology. I am also developing my clinic website into a comprehensive child health/ parenting website (

(a) Chapter "National Immunization Schedule" in Frontiers of Social Pediatrics, Jaypee Publishers: 2nd edition, 2016. (b) Article, "All about Pertussis vaccines" in special issue of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics, October 2015 (c) Three chapters (DTP vaccines, Pneumococcal vaccines and Poliovirus vaccines) in "Textbook of Pediatrics for Post-graduates" First edition: 2015. (c) Chapter: "Alternative delivery methods of vaccines" in IAP textbook of Vaccines, First edition, 2014 (published by IAP/ Jaypee Brothers) (d) Special Article: "50 years of Immunization in India: Progress and Future" in January 2013 issue of Indian Pediatrics (e) Four chapters in "FAQ: Book on Vaccines and Immunization Practices" First edition, 2011 AND 2nd edition, 2015 published by Jaypee Brothers. (f) Three articles in special issue of Journal of Pediatric Sciences on “Controversies and Challenges in Pediatric Vaccination Today" in Sept, 2010. Co-edited the series also. (f) Regular column, “How do I treat” in Pediascene ( (g) Review article, “Role of Anti-Poliovirus Agents in Polio eradication and beyond” in Polio Pulse, April, 2008. (h) Chapter on “Acute Infectious Diarrhea” in Textbook of Infectious Diseases in Children. (An IAP Publication), 2007. 2nd edition in 2011. (i) Book-Review (IAP Pediatric Drug Formulary, 2004) in Pediascene, March 2005 ( ) (j) Case-report on Osteopetrosis. Jharkhand Journal of Pediatrics, Dec-2002.

After MBBS, I have done DNB residency in Pediatrics.

Winner of IAP practising pediatrician's quiz in 2001.