Pediatrics/Possibility that I was bit by a dangourous spider

Question
A few weeks ago (I don't remember how many) I got this red area with a little irritated bump on my arm (near elbow). It was swollen and slightly painful but I just assumed I was having an allergic reaction to a spider or a  mosquito bite. A few days later the swelling and most of the pain went away. Now, a few weeks after I noticed it, I have redness around the area of the bite and a hard lump. The lump feels like it's under the skin, but it moves with the skin, even when I pull up so its not attached to a muscle or anything, it's definitely on the skin. I also noticed a little dark line (I'm worried it's a vein with the venom/poison in it) right next to it, and the skin on it is peeling. I'm going to go to the doctor but want to know you opinion about this. I live in the Northern US so we do have some dangerous spiders like  Brown recluses, but they aren't common at all. Thanks

Answer
Hi Alex!

Relax!! There is nothing to panic!!!

Any "dangerous" spider-bite will cause serious symptoms within hours of bite, not weeks.

You need to get yourself examined to find out what the swelling is exactly and appropriate management. However, I would re-emphasize that it does not sound "dangerous".

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

+91-9818356846, +91-11-45535647

www.KumarChildClinic.com  

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar