Pediatrics/Vaccination

Question
QUESTION: Dear Dr. Puneet,
My daughter is due for her Pentaxim booster. She is 18 months old now.
We are presently residing in China and Pentaxim is available here.
Her 3rd dose of Pentaxim was given when she was 3 months old in China. Earlier 2 were given in india.
I would like to know what is the difference between Pentaxim (3 months)and the Pentaxim booster which will be given at 18 months age?
Thank you.

ANSWER: Hi Mr. Marwah,

I would like to inform you that PENTAXIM and other brands that have DTaP (so called "gentle" or "painless" DTP) are not recommended by IAP (Indian Academy of Pediatrics) in India after October 2013, since it was found that DTaP is much less effective (and much costier) than DTwP ("normal" DTP or whole cell DTP) containing vaccine. Subsequent recommendations of IAP in November 2014 and September 2016 have also endorsed this.

Hence, I have been recommending only DTwP containing vaccine to all my patients since October 2013.

The recommendations and availability of brands vary from country to country. Hence, I would recommend to check local recommendations and brand details etc.

As far as the vaccination schedule is concerned, it is generally recommended to follow LOCAL schedule (in the country/ region where child usually resides....rather than the country of origin.

Please feel free o ask for any further clarification.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

+91-9818356846, +91-11-45535647

www.KumarChildClinic.com  

QUESTION: Dear Dr. Puneet,
Thank you for your response.
We have already given 3 doses and this information was not provided to us by our doctor when we were in india.
I want to know what is the difference between Pentaxim and Pentaxim booster. Are they both the same or different.
We are following the indian schedule as we will soon be going back to india.

Thanks.

Answer
Hi Mr. Mawah,

There is no difference between Pentaxim and Pentaxim booster. Both are not recommended in India.

The Indian (IAP) guidelines are clear: Even if baby has receieved DTaP in the past, all subsequent doses should be of DTwP containing vaccine. There is no need to repeat/ give extra doses of DTwP to such infants/kids.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

+91-9818356846, +91-11-45535647

www.KumarChildClinic.com  

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar