Pentecostals/hell

Question
Don,
 Many people have different ideas and opinions about what hell is. What does the bible say about what hell is?
 For example, do those in hell suffer and burn for eternity or are they annialated and cease to exist?
 Also, who goes to hell?
         Thanks
         Bob

Answer
Hi Bob,

Thanks for these great questions.  Let me start with who goes to Hell, then describe Hell itself.

Everyone who has not trusted Jesus as their Savior will go to Hell.

John 3:1820 (AV)
18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

John 3:36 (AV)
36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

Sin brings death, all sin... and the second death is the Lake of Fire.

Romans 6:23 (AV)
23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Revelation 21:8 (AV)
8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

That is why the only hope anyone has is to trust in Jesus as Savior.

Acts 4:12 (AV)
12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Now as to Hell itself, Jesus tells us a pretty detailed picture of Hell.  We will see that the rich man suffered and was aware enough to beg for water... He did not die... he was not consumed.

Luke 16:2326 (AV)
23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. 24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame. 25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented. 26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

We also read that once cast into Hell, the torment lasts forever.

Revelation 14:1011 (AV)
10 The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb: 11 And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

I hope that this helps you.

In Christ
Pastor Don  

Pentecostals

Pastor Don Carpenter