Pentecostals/fear after grief

Dear Pastor Carpenter,

We lost our 21 year old son to drugs three years ago. We are slowly healing from this family tragedy thanks to our loving FATHER GOD !!!  We were on good terms when we saw him last. And we do not beat ourselves up over what we should or could have done differently in his rearing. But, now, I find myself afraid often. Any time my wife or my daughter is on the highway I have great dread of what might happen. Only GOD pulled us through Joe's death, but I don't think I will make it though another such test. And I am positive that my bride will not !!! I am no 'Job' !! I fear for the test that may never come. Your advice, please. Thank you for your time, knowledge and insight. Steve

Hi Steve.  I am sorry for what you have gone through... but as you have testified... God's grace is sufficient to get you through what you have been through.  You will always get the grace to handle what you must handle.  

2 Corinthians 12:79 (AV)
7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure. 8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. 9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

You will not however, get the grace from God to handle what might happen.  The Apostle Paul tells us what we are to think about:

Philippians 4:8 (AV)
8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Notice that the first thing Paul mentions is that we must think on what is true.  "what if...?"  Is not true!  God does not give you grace in order to perpetuate worrying about things that are not yet true or ever will be true.  You lost your 21 year old... that is true... and God gave grace... that is true... you have not lost your wife or your daughter... that is true... think on what is true... that is where you will find grace.

I hope that this helps you.

In Christ
Pastor Don

Pastor Don Carpenter

I believe that every word of the Bible is God-Breathed. This blessed book is the foundation of truth for faith and practice. If you ask this volunteer a question you will receive an answer from the Bible that is based upon a literal, normal interpretation, taking into account the grammar and culture of the time.

I have been in the ministry 20+ years. During that time I served as a Baptist youth pastor, christian counselor, church planter, and senior pastor.Please know thatI will be answering these questions from a biblical perspective, not a penticostal only perspective. (Since I am a Baptist, anyway) :)

B.S. in Bible