I am a Pentecostal teenager, coming out of the world, and I have had a problem with masturbation since before I was in the church.  I am a virgin, and I have tried to stop, but I recently restarted, and I think I make have broken my hymen, but I want to wait to have sex until marriage.  I feel so guilty, and I never want to do it again, but I feel so guilty and embarrassed.  I don't want to make my future husband upset.  What do I do?

My dear friend,

My heart goes out to you in your struggle.  You are very brave to seek out counsel.  There are several things I want to tell you.  I wish I had been as wise and brave as you are when I was your age.  I lived in constant fear and guilt.  I had no one to go to.

In working though this issue, don't lose sight of the big picture.  You are not the first young person to deal with this issue.  Since the beginning of time, human beings have struggled with questions about sexuality.  So much of what we think about sex is the result of the culture we grow up in...home, church, region of the country, etc.  

In working though this or any other issue, keep in mind what Jesus has done for you.  He took your place on the cross and carried every sin of every human being that has ever lived.  He took our punishment.  He bought your salvation no matter what issues you are struggling with.  Some people deal with things much more troublesome than masturbation even though I know that is a big problem in your eyes.  Every human being has dealt with this same issue.  EVERYONE!

When Jesus saved you, He changed your standing with God.  That standing does not change drastically or constantly depending on your performance.  Our salvation hinges on Christ's performance at Calvary.  These little human issues we deal with are nothing compared to the grace of God that has imputed His righteousness in the place of our sin.  

For a long time, I thought my Salvation was constantly in a state of flux because of my humanity.  I found out that he holds me in the palm of His hand and His power to save and keep us is far greater than our human weakness.  Because of the Blood of Jesus, your soul has been redeemed.  He knew all about those issues in our lives long before we were even born.  He not only forgave you of past sins, He forgave you of future sins too.  Don't let the devil put you under truck loads of condemnation for an aspect of your humanity that God created.

I was in college when I heard Dr. James Dobson address the subject of masturbation.  He said that there is no one thing in the Bible about it and he's right. It was never mentioned.  If it happens, it's just part of the normal development of our human, God given sexuality.  Curiosity, experimentation and exploration are normal.  It's how we grow and learn.  That said, anything can become an addiction.  God still wants us to keep our thoughts channeled in wholesome directions that ultimately lead us in the direction of God's will.  

Your body and your sexuality are precious in God's sight.  Your future is too.  Someday you will be married and look back at this as a time of growth in wisdom that you can pass on down to your children.  You are wise to save yourself for your husband.  You are normal.  It's something everyone around you has been through.  Don't let them pile heaps of guilt on you.  That's abuse and it was probably done to them so that's the only way they know how to handle the subject.  Give yourself totally to God and let this other trivial stuff go.  It can't undo what Jesus did FOR you at the cross.

Acts 2:38 salvation!  

Robert L. Morgan

I was raised as a 4th generation Pentecostal in an ordained Assemblies of God minister's home and educated for the ministry at an A/G Bible College. I transitioned into the United Pentecostal Church International and also attended one of their Bible Colleges. I have a balanced understanding of the Oneness/Trinity debate, water baptism in the Name of Jesus, grace versus legalism, the new birth, the differences between Charismatic, Apostolic, and Pentecostal, worship, church history and the evolution of Christian theology. I have also personally confronted the issue of same gender attraction often found among classical Pentecostals.

I have a deep passion for doctrine and history which I invested myself into heavily while pursuing my education. My entire life has been spent finding Scriptural balance with help provided by exposure to reputable ministries from across the spectrum of the modern Pentecostal and Charismatic movements.

Presently, I am the General Chairman and co-founder of the Global Alliance of Affimring Apostolic Pentecostals, an "affirming" organization dedicated to sharing truth as it is understood by Pentecostals with all people, including but not limited to gay people in their pursuit of God's fullness in their often challenging lives. I attend a multicultural United Pentecostal Church in Tampa, FL.

The Pentecostal Herald. I was also one of the featured subjects of an article written for Charisma Magazine in 2000 regarding the issue of Homosexuality and Christianity.

I graduated in 1983 from Southeastern University in Lakeland, FL (Assemblies of God) with a Bachelors degree in Theology and Pastoral Ministry. I also attended JacksonCollege of Ministries in Jackson, MS where I studied organ, piano and vocal music. I attended A/G churches all my life until 1985 when I fully transitioned in the United Pentecostal Church International. I held a General License with the UPC for several years before resigning to confront personal issues with which I was struggling.