Pentecostals/exodus 33:11 vs John 1:18

what does it mean by no one has ever seen God and The Lord would speak to Moses face to face just as a man speaks with his friend?

Hi Finney

Thank you for this great question.  I am very sorry how long it took to answer.

Exodus 33:11 (AV)
11 And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend. And he turned again into the camp: but his servant Joshua, the son of Nun, a young man, departed not out of the tabernacle.

John 1:18 (AV)
18 No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

As you might already know... God's word does not contradict itself.  If there seems to be a contradiction... it is because we are missing something in the
interpretation.  Exodus tells us that God SPEAKS face to face not that Moses SEES face to face.  In fact we read where Moses wanted to see God... but He was only allowed to see His back parts but not his face.  

Exodus 33:2023 (AV)
20 And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live. 21 And the LORD said, Behold, there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock: 22 And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by: 23 And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.

So Moses did speak with God directly... but did not see His face... Just like John says... no man has seen God (his face) at any time.

I hope that this helps.

In Christ
Pastor Don

Pastor Don Carpenter

I believe that every word of the Bible is God-Breathed. This blessed book is the foundation of truth for faith and practice. If you ask this volunteer a question you will receive an answer from the Bible that is based upon a literal, normal interpretation, taking into account the grammar and culture of the time.

I have been in the ministry 20+ years. During that time I served as a Baptist youth pastor, christian counselor, church planter, and senior pastor.Please know thatI will be answering these questions from a biblical perspective, not a penticostal only perspective. (Since I am a Baptist, anyway) :)

B.S. in Bible