Pentecostals/Divorce and remarriage

Question
Hello , I was married to a man for 24 years , that had molested my little sister (i found out about when i filed for divorce)and had been cheating on me . So we divorced . I got remarried 5 years later Very bad mistake , didn't realize he was an alcohol. I had to run from him , more then i lived with him . Many times on his Binge drinking , i found out that he had stayed with one woman or another . He is now in prison , we are divorced . My question , can i get remarried . My first husband is remarried , and second not of course . My girls said i should of never got remarried at all . And i shouldn't now . The bible only talks about man putting away his wife . What is the right way i should live the rest of my life. The man i met is very much a christian , but does not want to attend church . And a very good docile man . We have been seeing each other 3 years now.

Answer
Hi Debbie,

Thanks for this great question. I think Jesus clears this up in the following passage:

Matthew 19:39 (AV)
3 The Pharisees also came unto him, tempting him, and saying unto him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause? 4 And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, 5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? 6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder. 7 They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away? 8 He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so. 9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

So if your spouse commits adultery... you are free to divorce and remarry.  In both cases you are free to remarry.  Now, as you learned last time, just because you are free to remarry, it is not wise to just remarry anyone.  I would be extremely cautious about marrying one who claims to be a Christian but unwilling to fellowship with God's people in church.... this may be an indicator of other problems down the road.  

I hope that I have helped you.

In Christ
Pastor Don  

Pentecostals

Pastor Don Carpenter