Pentecostals/I just need advice

Hi I'm Amanda and I am a new Apostolic Pentecostal. I started going to a Pentecostal church in February 2015. I was baptized in May and received the holy ghost shortly after. I had just moved to NC in October 2014 from NY. I moved down to stay with my father, as a new start. I have never been so happy and fulfilled in my whole 31 years of life. God has changed my whole way of thinking. My father is moving back to NY. I don't want to leave NC. I am not in a financial situation to support myself and my daughter here. I found a transitional housing program. It is my only option if I want to stay here. I prayed for days and I believe it is the will of God. This transitional housing is ran by a nondenominational Christian church and they want me to attend their services. Tonight (Wednesday) I did and it didn't feel right. I speak in tongues and I believe in oneness. I am praying for Gods will in my life. I don't want to go to 2 churches. But in order for me to have shelter I am forced to go to this church. My Pastor is upset but he understands my basic shelter needs. I am struggling and I am overwhelmed. I don't understand why this is happening. I am new to the Pentecostal church and my urge to learn Gods word is so strong. I am praying for a blessing. A job that I can support some new living arrangements. I feel forced into this church because I am in a vulnerable spot. Which makes me resent this church for not respecting that I have a home church.  How do I go to this Christian Church knowing its not what I believe?

Hi Amanda,
I am sorry for the delay but due to work travel and assisting my family on their move from Indiana to Florida, I have been overwhelmed.  Please forgive me.

First of all, isn't it wonderful to be born again according to Acts 2:38?!  I rejoice with you that you are saved and building your relationship with the Mighty God in Christ!

I came out of a Trinitarian background and embraced the truth of the Oneness of God and Baptism in Jesus' Name as I was finishing my last year of Bible College training for the ministry.  I have been faithful to the truth of God's Word since then but there have been times, whether because of family situations, church proximity or financial considerations, I found it temporarily needful to attend a church with which I did not fully agree doctrinally.  If you are secure in your spiritual walk, faith and doctrine, you may actually find hidden blessings in doing what you need to do to be obedient to God in the bigger picture.  If you feel you should stay where you are and this is the only way it can work out, do it.  Your attendance is not an endorsement of everything they believe or do.  Just be strong and sweet in your spirit lest you become prideful in your spirit regarding your walk and experience with God.  Life is a journey and you will find that many things do not make sense or seem to fit until much later.  Some things may not even make sense until we get to Heaven.  

I pray you feel peace in your heart in whatever you do.  A person wanting and trying to stay in the will of God cannot get far off track so trust God and obey Him wherever your journey takes you.  There are good things to learn at every turn and from all those you meet along the way, ESPECIALLY those with whom you disagree.  We usually learn more from then than from people who agree with us and tell us more of what we already know.

Robert L. Morgan

I was raised as a 4th generation Pentecostal in an ordained Assemblies of God minister's home and educated for the ministry at an A/G Bible College. I transitioned into the United Pentecostal Church International and also attended one of their Bible Colleges. I have a balanced understanding of the Oneness/Trinity debate, water baptism in the Name of Jesus, grace versus legalism, the new birth, the differences between Charismatic, Apostolic, and Pentecostal, worship, church history and the evolution of Christian theology. I have also personally confronted the issue of same gender attraction often found among classical Pentecostals.

I have a deep passion for doctrine and history which I invested myself into heavily while pursuing my education. My entire life has been spent finding Scriptural balance with help provided by exposure to reputable ministries from across the spectrum of the modern Pentecostal and Charismatic movements.

Presently, I am the General Chairman and co-founder of the Global Alliance of Affimring Apostolic Pentecostals, an "affirming" organization dedicated to sharing truth as it is understood by Pentecostals with all people, including but not limited to gay people in their pursuit of God's fullness in their often challenging lives. I attend a multicultural United Pentecostal Church in Tampa, FL.

The Pentecostal Herald. I was also one of the featured subjects of an article written for Charisma Magazine in 2000 regarding the issue of Homosexuality and Christianity.

I graduated in 1983 from Southeastern University in Lakeland, FL (Assemblies of God) with a Bachelors degree in Theology and Pastoral Ministry. I also attended JacksonCollege of Ministries in Jackson, MS where I studied organ, piano and vocal music. I attended A/G churches all my life until 1985 when I fully transitioned in the United Pentecostal Church International. I held a General License with the UPC for several years before resigning to confront personal issues with which I was struggling.