Peoplesoft/Databade backup

In order to backup a database, is there any DBA involvement is involved for oracle 11g? If YES how and if NO how?

Hi Vinnu,

You will need a DBA to backup the Oracle database. You may need a system administrator if you wanted the database backup to be on tape or on some other media for archiving purposes.

Your DBA will be able to help you with your backup. The following methods are valid for backing-up an Oracle database:

+ Datapump Export/Import - Exports are "logical" database backups in that they extract logical definitions and data from the database to a file.
+ Cold or Off-line Backups - shut the database down and backup up ALL data, log, and control files.
+ Hot or On-line Backups - If the database is available and in ARCHIVELOG mode, set the tablespaces into backup mode and backup their files. Also remember to backup the control files and archived redo log files.
+ RMAN Backups - while the database is off-line or on-line, use the "rman" utility to backup the database.

It depends on your requirements and needs that will dictate which of the options would work best for your organization. The simplest would be the datapump followed by RMAN. Your DBA would help you with either or.

1. Oracle Documentation:

I hope this helps.

Peter Choi

I am a senior Oracle DBA, PeopleSoft HCM specialist and Project Manager with 15+ years experience. I have been working with PeopleSoft (HRMS/HCM 5, 7, 7.x and 8.9, 9.x), Oracle RDBMS (7.3 - 11gR2) on various Unix and MS-Windows platforms, and some Oracle Application Server (9i - 11gR1). I also have experience with the configuration and administration of PeopleSoft's Internet Architecture (PIA) and the Oracle 11g Fusion Middleware and Oracle Business Intelligence (OBI).