Peoplesoft/Difference between Peoplesoft Application Designer and Peopletools

Hi Peter,

I am new to PS technology.

I wish to design functionality in HCVv.2 and wish to develop the responsive web application for leave management, then can I use peoplesoft Application Designer. Actually I am not getting exact idea that should I use PS Application Designer or should I use Peopletools?

Hi Nik,

PeopleTools is the generic suite of tools used to develop code for PeopleSoft. PeopleTools Application Designer is used to build the application interface (what the end-user see on the web). There are other tools, such as Data Mover (used to move data between databases),  App Engine (for batch processing).

PeopleCode is the the business rules code that performs the data validation.

So to build your leave management module or make changes to an existing page, PeopleTools App Designer is the correct tool to use.

Hope this helps.

Peter Choi

I am a senior Oracle DBA, PeopleSoft HCM specialist and Project Manager with 15+ years experience. I have been working with PeopleSoft (HRMS/HCM 5, 7, 7.x and 8.9, 9.x), Oracle RDBMS (7.3 - 11gR2) on various Unix and MS-Windows platforms, and some Oracle Application Server (9i - 11gR1). I also have experience with the configuration and administration of PeopleSoft's Internet Architecture (PIA) and the Oracle 11g Fusion Middleware and Oracle Business Intelligence (OBI).