Perennials/distressed aconite

Lorna Loughridge wrote at 2013-06-27 23:28:41
there is a worm that attacks monkshood in the first blooms, I examine them all and you can usually tell when they have made a nest in the bud, it turns black and they eat the bud...I break all the buds off that are affected. If you open the bud you will see a fat green worm.These worms only attack at the first bud. your monkshood will grow new buds worm free.

Long Island Gardener

What`s growing in your garden? Delphiniums, Painted Daisies, Roses, Peonies, Lilacs, Tuberoses, Parrot Tulips and Double Daffodils -- I`ve never met a perennial I didn`t like, but I have a weakness for flowers with fragrance. Here in Zone 7, on the North Shore of Long Island, New York, I can`t think of a better way to spend a summer morning. I'm educated in this field, but even better, I am genetically qualified: Part English gardener ancestry, part Irish potato farmer. I have degrees in related fields and a lifetime of hands-in-the-dirt experience. Not convinced? I have a daughter named Holly, a dog named Daisy, a bird named Buttercup, and a house on Garden Street. Still working on the license plate.

Homeowner for 15 years, 30 years of gardening for personal pleasure, college credits in horticulture and botany, volunteer docent at the local botanical gardens and a library of gardening and landscaping books, some 100 years old.