Perennials/Mysterious Moonflower Plant

Elizabeth wrote at 2012-05-29 17:17:16
My family all have moonflowers that we have passed around to special friends and have kept going from baby plant to baby plant for a couple generations. We have never seen one like it in any nurseries but it is just as Brenda describes. AND they are only yellow- a big beautiful bloom 1-1 1/2-2" across. We watch them open every night. Last night there were 31 in my daughter's flower bed. I think it is bi-annual. The first year plants have not quite so serrated leaves and the second year plant has more serrated leaves with a stem that looks like an old carrot.

mag wrote at 2014-06-03 12:29:02
It is a Stemless Evening Primrose (Oenothera triloba).

Gill Borchardt

Where, when and how to plant perennials in various parts of the country,especially the south-west and north-east of England and the west highlands of Scotland

Many years experience making gardens from scratch in the above parts of the United Kingdom. Also advising others on this subject.

Diploma in Horticulture with COmmendation