Perennials/Bulb Sizes

Question
QUESTION: Hi--

When out shopping for flower bulbs recently, I found different bags of the same variety of daffodil, both growing to 24" high, but the bulbs in one bag were sized 10/12 cm and the other bulbs were 17 cm.  

What is the significance or effect of the different sizes of bulbs for the same type of flower?

Thanks.

ANSWER: Hello Ed,

In the world of bulbs, as you noticed, there are significant differences in size in the same kind of daffodil. And the effect can be quite dramatic.

Large daffodil bulbs will produce much larger flowers, and more of them. The 10/12 cm bulbs will bloom and produce, in probability, one flower.  But the 17 cm bulbs will produce two to three stems and multiple flowers. I have purchased both, and the difference is tremendous.

I should add that 10/12 cm is the basic standard for good companies and is acceptable. And the 17 cm is more expensive. But the larger bulb should give you a much better display. I have also noticed that you need far fewer of the larger ones if you want them to multiply. The large ones will multiply at a significantly faster rate.

Does this help? Please feel free to write again.

Donna

QUESTION: Thanks, that helps.  Another question comes to mind now -- if the smaller bulbs are planted, do they eventually grow to a larger size and therefore produce more blossoms as time goes on, or do they always stay the same size?

Answer
Hello Ed,

Yes, indeed they do, provided they are properly fertilized. In fall, when they are being planted, it is good to feed them with a slow release bulb food. It should not be too high in nitrogen in the nitrogen-phosphorous-potash mix. It should have a higher middle number, since phosphorous is good for root development. Any fertilizer labeled for bulbs should be good, with a ratio of, for example, 5-10-12.

If you really want your daffodils to develop faster, an additional liquid fertilization in the spring before bloom is helpful. Again, low nitrogen and higher phosphorous.

If you do this, the difference between the flowers the different bulb sizes produce will rapidly disappear. I generally buy the smaller ones, but once in a while a company surprises me with larger ones. If you take care of the smaller ones, they will definitely produce larger bulbs, and more flowers. The larger bulbs are simply the smaller ones, plus some time and feeding.

This is an excellent question!

Donna

Perennials

Donna Mack