Perennials/dipledenias over winter

Hi there, me again, just wanted to find out what I need to do with my plants over the winter - I have 5 of them & I brought them inside before the frost started so right now they're sitting on my dining room table, losing their leaves & just looking very depressed - what I would like to know is - obviously I still need to water them but how often & should I keep them in a dark room, light room? I'm just not sure what to do with them right now, I realize they're probably going into dormant stage but what steps should I take to make sure they come back next spring? any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much, sincerely, Jutta

Hi Jutta,
Thanx for your question.  Yes, the dipladenias will not look very good while they go into a semi-dormant state.  Place the plants in windows where they will receive sun from an eastern or southern exposure.  Water the  plants about once a week.  Just enough to keep them from drying out but not overwatering where they a too damp.  Do not feed them until right before they go back out in the spring after there is no danger of frost.  They will get unkempt looking and drop some leaves but after a while, they will get used to the new low levels of sunlight and lack of summer heat and they will carry themselves over until the warmth returns.  I hope this helps.

Tom Alonzo

I have been a gardener for 20 years with perennials both growing from seed and from nurseries. I went through the Master Gardener Program from Kansas State University Cooperative Extension Service and I answered questions on the Hotline a few years ago for the Wyandotte County Kansas Extension Service. I have also lived in the Florida, California, Hawaii, Arizona, Texas, Kansas and Missouri and am experienced with a variety of climates, soils and weather conditions.

I have been growing perennials for over 20 years now. I am self-taught mostly except for a master gardener class. I have experimented with all kinds of perennials including many that are not common to my area. I have read hundreds of books and grown hundreds of varieties of plants and hope to make it a business some day. I have become versed in botanical names and growing conditions and what I don't know off of the top of my head I can usually easily find in my vast array of research material and botanical and horticultural contacts. I especially enjoy experimenting with growing plants out of zone.