I have a very large mature Fosythia bush I would like to divide and take woody cuttings from. Now is great for cuttings but being mid winter is it bad to divide. I'm in east tn? Is it bad to root woody cuttings during winter outside. In past I have been successful with rose of Sharon.

Hi Chuck,
Thanx for your question.  I think you can probably get away with woody cuttings this time of year.  Use 6 inch cuttings at the leaf nodes.  Stick the cuttings in rooting hormone, dig a trench two inches deep and lay the cuttings in at an angle.  Cover with soil and water once.  If they don't get an inch of moisture per week, water them.  You can also take softwood cuttings in the spring after flowering and they root easily and nicely with rooting hormone in a tray of soil less mix.  I rooted a bunch several years ago like this with green wood cuttings.  I hope this helps.

Tom Alonzo

I have been a gardener for 20 years with perennials both growing from seed and from nurseries. I went through the Master Gardener Program from Kansas State University Cooperative Extension Service and I answered questions on the Hotline a few years ago for the Wyandotte County Kansas Extension Service. I have also lived in the Florida, California, Hawaii, Arizona, Texas, Kansas and Missouri and am experienced with a variety of climates, soils and weather conditions.

I have been growing perennials for over 20 years now. I am self-taught mostly except for a master gardener class. I have experimented with all kinds of perennials including many that are not common to my area. I have read hundreds of books and grown hundreds of varieties of plants and hope to make it a business some day. I have become versed in botanical names and growing conditions and what I don't know off of the top of my head I can usually easily find in my vast array of research material and botanical and horticultural contacts. I especially enjoy experimenting with growing plants out of zone.