Perennials/Calli Lilies

I planted Calli Lilies in my garden it grew beautiful. Can I replant the seeds from the plant and when it return next year.
I am not sure if what I have is the seeds to replant.
Thank you I am a new gardener.

Hi Jane,
Thanx for your question.  Callas are not hardy to Pennsylvania.  The cold winter will kill them.  You will need to dig up the corms in the fall and store them in a cool, dark, dry place.  Do not wash the corms/roots.  The seeds form after the plant has bloomed.  The seed structure will look like a stick with pea-sized balls formin around the end.  When the seed pod starts to turn brown, cut it off and carefully remove the seeds.  Plant seeds immediately in 1 inch deep in potting soil and keep moist but not soggy and warm.  Seedlings emerge in 30 days or less.  Keep warm and under bright lights.  Start feeding them 1/2 strength 12-12-12 liquid fertilizer once they get several sets of true leaves after they are about 3 inches tall.  You can gently prick them out of the pot and sow in separate pots.  These seedlings need bright lights so I would suggest growing them underneath a 40-watt shop light suspended about 8 inches above, you can try to keep the seed until spring and plant outdoors once there is no danger of frost and the soil is warm but the older the seed the less chance they will germinate.  I hope this helps.

Tom Alonzo

I have been a gardener for 20 years with perennials both growing from seed and from nurseries. I went through the Master Gardener Program from Kansas State University Cooperative Extension Service and I answered questions on the Hotline a few years ago for the Wyandotte County Kansas Extension Service. I have also lived in the Florida, California, Hawaii, Arizona, Texas, Kansas and Missouri and am experienced with a variety of climates, soils and weather conditions.

I have been growing perennials for over 20 years now. I am self-taught mostly except for a master gardener class. I have experimented with all kinds of perennials including many that are not common to my area. I have read hundreds of books and grown hundreds of varieties of plants and hope to make it a business some day. I have become versed in botanical names and growing conditions and what I don't know off of the top of my head I can usually easily find in my vast array of research material and botanical and horticultural contacts. I especially enjoy experimenting with growing plants out of zone.