Perennials/Fragrant perennials

Question
I am interested in planting several different perennials that are very fragrant and also attract butterflies. The soil in Indiana is very hard and clay like and the planting would be on the south side of our home with good drainage. They would be planted in mulch and dirt. Any suggestions and tips? Thanks.

Answer
Hi Scott,
Sorry for the delay. First thing, tea roses.  I love the smell of tea roses.  I would try to plan my garden for all periods so that means irises too.  Irises have a delicious fragrance, but they come earlier.  Be sure to put in a lilac or two and mock orange.  Here are some more ideas, Oriental lilies, lavender, phlox paniculata, dianthus, peonies, convallaria (Lily of the Valley, viola odorata, monarda (bee balm) and valerian.  That's what comes immediately to mind.  Hope this helps.

Tom

Perennials

Tom Alonzo