Perennials/Canna Lillies and Celosia Plants

I just got these two plants for Mother's Day.
I am not sure if the canna lily is a house plant or an outdoor plant.  Can they also be kept as a house plant?

The Celosia plant is a red plant and this is an annual plant.  Is there a perennial version of this plant and where can I get some.

Thanks for your assistance

Hi Barbara,
Thanx for your question.  The canna is not a houseplant but will look beautiful in your yard.  I do not recommend keeping it indoors.  These plants will grow 3-8 feet or more depending upon the variety.  They have a cool tropical look and love the heat and humidity.  Set them out into the yard after all danger of frost has passed and ground temperatures are above 60F or higher (16C).  They must receive 8 hours of direct sunlight for best blooming and growing.  Heavy feeders so side dress with well-composted manure and keep watered.  In the fall, allow the first frost to kill back the foliage.  Dig up the rhizomes and shake off the soil (do not wash with water) and allow to dry.  Hang in netted bags or covered in boxes with shredded newspaper in a cool, dark, dry basement.  Ready to plant in the spring.  Celosia is an annual. There are no perennials available that I know of.  I hope this helps.

Tom Alonzo

I have been a gardener for 20 years with perennials both growing from seed and from nurseries. I went through the Master Gardener Program from Kansas State University Cooperative Extension Service and I answered questions on the Hotline a few years ago for the Wyandotte County Kansas Extension Service. I have also lived in the Florida, California, Hawaii, Arizona, Texas, Kansas and Missouri and am experienced with a variety of climates, soils and weather conditions.

I have been growing perennials for over 20 years now. I am self-taught mostly except for a master gardener class. I have experimented with all kinds of perennials including many that are not common to my area. I have read hundreds of books and grown hundreds of varieties of plants and hope to make it a business some day. I have become versed in botanical names and growing conditions and what I don't know off of the top of my head I can usually easily find in my vast array of research material and botanical and horticultural contacts. I especially enjoy experimenting with growing plants out of zone.