Perennials/Oriental Poppy Problem

Question
I am in Manchester and two years ago I bought a lovely oriental poppy with one gorgeous red flower. I planted it in the plot in the garden but last spring the leaves appeared but no flower stem and the same this year. So spring comes and no flower stems or buds. Just a wide ugly sprawl of leaves that then collapse. Why will this poppy not flower?
Best wishes, Geraldine

Answer
Hi Geraldine.
You do not say where it is planted, ie in shade or full sun.
These plants prefer, in my garden in Kent, full sun and these plants do not like being moved and can 'sulk' for a few years. Leave for another year to see if it will flower, if not it might be that it is too cold in its position. Try moving it to a more sheltered position in full sun.
Hope this helps.
Steve

Perennials

Steve Jessup