Perennials/tiger lilies

I planted my tiger lilies back in April, I live in Alabama and they have bloomed but the blooms have now died off? The stalk is still very green and healthy looking? I was wandering when will they re-bloom? I also see what appears to be black seeds or balls that are in the corners of the leaves? What are they and should I remove them?

Hi Sadie,
Thanx for your question.  Your tiger lilies have finished blooming.  Allow the stalk to wither and turn brown.  While it is green and has the strips of leaves, it is drawing energy from the sun which is stored in the bulbs for next year's blom and growth.  The black seeds or balls you speak of are called bulbils.  When they fall off of the plant, they will grow into new lily plants.  You can harvest them yourself in the fall and plant them or allow nature to take its course.  If you want to try to grow them yourself, it is a two-year process.  Take the bulbils in the fall and plant them about an inch deep in a pot or seed tray.  Potting soil is fine but keep it moist (not soggy).  Allow the tray or pot to sit outdoors in the winter.  The bulbils will form roots the first year.  in the spring of the second year,  you should see grass-like leaves start to burst through the soil.  IN the third year, the plant may bloom.  I hope this helps.

Tom Alonzo

I have been a gardener for 20 years with perennials both growing from seed and from nurseries. I went through the Master Gardener Program from Kansas State University Cooperative Extension Service and I answered questions on the Hotline a few years ago for the Wyandotte County Kansas Extension Service. I have also lived in the Florida, California, Hawaii, Arizona, Texas, Kansas and Missouri and am experienced with a variety of climates, soils and weather conditions.

I have been growing perennials for over 20 years now. I am self-taught mostly except for a master gardener class. I have experimented with all kinds of perennials including many that are not common to my area. I have read hundreds of books and grown hundreds of varieties of plants and hope to make it a business some day. I have become versed in botanical names and growing conditions and what I don't know off of the top of my head I can usually easily find in my vast array of research material and botanical and horticultural contacts. I especially enjoy experimenting with growing plants out of zone.