Perennials/Black Lace Bush

Question
I had bought a black lace bush and have had it for almost 2 years. it was a small plant when I bought it. This year it sprouted. Looked real nice. Looked nice after we had a lot of rain about a month ago. Now near the end of the month of Aug. just in the past week, the leaves are bending some look good still but wilting. Is it the end of the season for them. My mom's which we bought at the same time always seems to die down a little later then mine. I checked for any bugs none. the stems still look healthy. Berries are growing on some leaves also. Can you please let me know what to do?

Answer
Hi Alisa,
Sorry to delay in getting the answer to you.  Is there any way you can send a picture?  The plant has some sensitivity to the cooler areas of the USA.  It will survive in Zone 5 and possibly Zone 4 but will die back to the ground.  It may be entering into dormancy since this if now September.  You had a lot of rain, you indicated so it may be waterlogged too unless your soil drains well.  I would just leave it alone for now.  It may just be cooler weather.  If berries are growing, the plant is probably fine.  This plant is pretty tough and not known to have a lot of pest or disease issues.  I hope this helps.
Tom

Perennials

Tom Alonzo