Perennials/Black Lace Bush

Question
QUESTION: I have a question. The black lace bush I have is almost 2 years old. It took off this year. looked great up until last week. where all the leaves started drooping . Could it have been because we had a crazy summer where we had down pours followed by some warm weather. Or could it be just now the season is over. There is still healthy red (dark) red leaves. it also produced the berries and flowers this year. Now they are falling off when then wind blows on them. I would hate to lose it. But I remember last year about this time it started to die down.

ANSWER: Hello Alisa,

Sambucus 'Black Lace', while a lovely plant, is unfortunately subject to a variety of problems. Borers commonly attack them, and I am wondering whether this could be the issue. You could try cutting down to healthy tissue. Aphids and spider mites also like sambucus. Look closely at the plant and see whether you see tiny little bugs that are sucking the juices from your plant. Normally one would get rid of them with a sharp spray of water, but I would suggest that you cut the plant back below the drooping. But also, please be aware that the branches are very susceptible to wind damage.

Do you think it's wind? If so, you could try moving it to a more sheltered location. And none of these are necessarily fatal. The plant can recover.

Does this help? Please feel free to write again with any more observations, and we will take it from there.

Donna

QUESTION: I looked but couldn't find any mites or bugs. Will try putting a strong spray of water though. But we have had real hard rain lately could that do something . the leaves look healthy, at the top. But if I remember this happened early last year. Thought I lost it then. Then some that were drooping fell off today and some were black now. Can it be time for it for the end of the season. It is a beautiful plan. Would hate to lose it.
If I do move it would hate to can there be something I put around it so that the wind or strong rain doesn't damage it?
Thank you very much for replying to my first question.

Answer
Hi Alisa,

As I do my research I am finding that a lot of people are having similar difficulty with this plant. It's a new cultivar, so it hasn't been tested by time. A lot of people are experiencing a sharp decline in its condition. It often recovers, but it takes some time. I know that it doesn't like wind, and I suspect that your "hard rain" did some damage.

When I have plants that are fussy I move them to my patio so that I can pamper and observe them more. Can you do that? It would be easier to keep an eye on it.

Donna

Perennials

Donna Mack