Perennials/25 feet walkway with Agapanthus

Hello Sir,

I have about 25 feet of walkway to my front entrance. On the border, I planted a mini rose followed by an agapanthus, using this pattern through out the whole 25 feet. So there is 6 Agapanthus and 6 mini roses. I later found out that the watering schedule for these plants are different, the mini roses need more watering.

Can you please suggest some replacement perrenials with flower that can compliment the agapanthus and have similar water needs?

Thank you,

Hi Will,
I'm sorry it has taken so long to get back with you.  I had a death in the family and I just took off to get things settled.  So please accept my apologies and I hope there was not too much inconvenience.

Here is a listing of top drought tolerant perennial flowers for California.  I might also recommend lantana, bird of paradise, aloe, agave, various types of cacti, African lily, crocosmia.  Here's a link for others.  I hope this helps.

Tom Alonzo

I have been a gardener for 20 years with perennials both growing from seed and from nurseries. I went through the Master Gardener Program from Kansas State University Cooperative Extension Service and I answered questions on the Hotline a few years ago for the Wyandotte County Kansas Extension Service. I have also lived in the Florida, California, Hawaii, Arizona, Texas, Kansas and Missouri and am experienced with a variety of climates, soils and weather conditions.

I have been growing perennials for over 20 years now. I am self-taught mostly except for a master gardener class. I have experimented with all kinds of perennials including many that are not common to my area. I have read hundreds of books and grown hundreds of varieties of plants and hope to make it a business some day. I have become versed in botanical names and growing conditions and what I don't know off of the top of my head I can usually easily find in my vast array of research material and botanical and horticultural contacts. I especially enjoy experimenting with growing plants out of zone.