Perennials/Borders with Agapanthus and Mini Roses

I have about 25 feet of walkway to my front entrance. On the border, I planted a mini rose followed by an agapanthus, using this pattern through out the whole 25 feet. So there is 6 Agapanthus and 6 mini roses. I later found out that the watering schedule for these plants are different, the mini roses need more watering.

Can you please suggest some replacement perrenials with flower that can compliment the agapanthus and have similar water needs? I live in S. California in zone 10.

Thank you,

Hello Will

This is an interesting challenge. Agapathus blooms from spring to fall, enjoys neutral soil, and is drought tolerant.

I personally like a full season of bloom, and although my season is shorter than yours, I have some ideas.

Nepetas would work really well. It is drought and heat tolerant, and with deadheading, blooms for months. I can personally recommend 'Dawn to Dusk', which is pink, 'Snowflake, which is white' but the best is Joanna Reed, and another great one is 'Six Hills Giant'. Here is the link to a wonderful article from the Chicago Botanic Garden evaluating them.

Low maintenance, always beautiful, great ground cover.

Here is a link to a picture of Joanna Reed:

More ideas?

Hardy salvias, lavendars, penstemon, perennial verbenas, baptisias - you have many options. And the color range is extensive. All low maintenance, most long blooming with deadheading, all drought tolerant, all beautiful.

Does this help? Google some of these to have a look. And please feel free to write again. This is one of my favorite topics.

Donna Mack

I am a Master Gardener through the University of Illinois Extension.I can answer questions about pest control, especially voles, rabbits, chipmunks and slugs, and have done so on Dave's Garden Watchdog under the name DonnaMack since 2002. I have a lot of expertise with ornamental grass, hardy roses and old garden roses, minor bulbs such as ornigothalem, chionodoxa and allium as well as most types of lilies. I am knowledgeable about organic methods and I grow perennials, annuals and vegetables from seed.

I have been gardening since 1998 and have raised roses, peonies, annuals and perennials (the latter two from seed), and numerous shrubs and trees, many of which I have planted. I am familiar with many organic techniques and use as many as I can but know the chemical solutions, which are most benign and how to use them. I LOVE gardening, and I get great satisfaction with helping others so that they reach the state of joy that gardening can bring to those inclined to it.

The American Lily Society

I have numerous entries in Garden Watchdog under the name DonnaMack. I write three to four columns a year for the Kane County Chronicle.

I successfully completed the University of Illinois Master Gardening Program in March of 2013. I did this to augment extensive self study through books (I've probably read 100) and an arts degree, which helps with aesthetics. I am purely an amateur, but one who studies, reads, and documents extensively. My gardening log began in 2000, and has hundreds of entries, so that I can use my successes and failures to assist other gardeners.

The University of Illinois created a Team with Work Award for master gardeners who work together to create what they regard as an outstanding project. I won this award as part of a group that created "The Idea Garden", which suggests plants for home growers to attempt to grow. My personal contribution was salvias - ornamental and culinary hardy and tender perennials, which I grew from seed and tended through the season.

I am currently overseeing and performing the maintenance of two large English style gardens in a suburb of Chicago, and recently acquired the management and redesign of a large estate garden(2015.)