Perennials/PRUNING LILACS FOR GROWTH

Question
Tom, Hi I have some LiLACS and they dont have many flowers in the Spring. Someone told me thry should be cut back. When shoulf they be cut back, which month,  How much should they be cut back. ANY other thoughts on getting them to bloom I live in New York. Thank you for yoir help - Ken

Answer
Hi Ken,
Thanx for your question.  Prune back lilacs right after they bloom.  Prune them back severely when they are unruly and out of control.  I would just trim them back every year, after they bloom.  If you trim later, say in the fall or spring...you will remove any chance of new blooms for the coming season.  I hope this helps.
Tom

Perennials

Tom Alonzo