Perennials/Foxglove Problems

I bought 2 Foxglove plants at Lowes.  They looked beautiful for a month.  Now the leaves are turning brown and the other leaves look pale green and slightly limp.

Also, the beautiful flower stems flop over.

Thanks for your help!

Hi Dale,
Thanx for your question.  Most foxgloves are biennial or at best, short-lived perennials.  Generally, a foxglove spends the first year (from seed) producing foliage for gathering energy from the sun for next year's blooming and seed production.  The second year, the plant sends up the blossoming spike.  At that point, the plant has reached full maturity and dies.  Sometimes, it will produce sideshoots that will allow the plant to continue on.  You can add to a foxglove's life by cutting off the bloom spike as soon as the blossoms start to fade.  Sometimes, this will encourage the plant to rebloom and to produce side shoots what will bloom next year.  I hope this helps.

Tom Alonzo

I have been a gardener for 20 years with perennials both growing from seed and from nurseries. I went through the Master Gardener Program from Kansas State University Cooperative Extension Service and I answered questions on the Hotline a few years ago for the Wyandotte County Kansas Extension Service. I have also lived in the Florida, California, Hawaii, Arizona, Texas, Kansas and Missouri and am experienced with a variety of climates, soils and weather conditions.

I have been growing perennials for over 20 years now. I am self-taught mostly except for a master gardener class. I have experimented with all kinds of perennials including many that are not common to my area. I have read hundreds of books and grown hundreds of varieties of plants and hope to make it a business some day. I have become versed in botanical names and growing conditions and what I don't know off of the top of my head I can usually easily find in my vast array of research material and botanical and horticultural contacts. I especially enjoy experimenting with growing plants out of zone.