Perennials/hostas in mulch

I have a great stand of beautiful hosta plants in on older mulch bed near the front of my house. Unfortunately, i have a lot of big weeds coming up thru and around the hostas. they are very difficult to keep pulled due to the density of both weeds and hostas. I 've been thinking od putting a heavy layer (3-4 inches) of new mulch over the whole area in the fall when the hostas die down for the winter. My question is this--if i cover the whole area, will the hostas grow thru the mulch in the spring? They seem to be extremely hardy

Carl Meyers

Hi Carl,
Thanx for your question.  You can mulch heavily and then after the last frost, pull some of the mulch away from the crown of the plant so the shoots can come up successfully.  Keep piling the much up around the plant to reduce weed.  You can also use organic Preen® to help keep down weeds.  The Preen® will not work against perennial weeds but it does prevent annual weed seeds from germinating.  I hope this helps.

Tom Alonzo

I have been a gardener for 20 years with perennials both growing from seed and from nurseries. I went through the Master Gardener Program from Kansas State University Cooperative Extension Service and I answered questions on the Hotline a few years ago for the Wyandotte County Kansas Extension Service. I have also lived in the Florida, California, Hawaii, Arizona, Texas, Kansas and Missouri and am experienced with a variety of climates, soils and weather conditions.

I have been growing perennials for over 20 years now. I am self-taught mostly except for a master gardener class. I have experimented with all kinds of perennials including many that are not common to my area. I have read hundreds of books and grown hundreds of varieties of plants and hope to make it a business some day. I have become versed in botanical names and growing conditions and what I don't know off of the top of my head I can usually easily find in my vast array of research material and botanical and horticultural contacts. I especially enjoy experimenting with growing plants out of zone.