Perennials/hydrangeas

Question
I live on Long Island, NY and have several hydrangea bushes.  They have always bloomed each season.  This year my hydrangeas didn't bloom.  All I got was the green leaves.  I noticed many hydrangeas in my area also did not bloom.  What's going on?

Answer
Hi Jewel,
Thanx for your question.  It depends upon what type of hydrangea you have.  If you had any kind of cold snap this spring, that could have done the blooming buds in, especially if you notice other folks' hydrangeas did not bloom either.  It's usually because a cold snap killed the buds.  Another thing is to avoid trimming the shrubs back too late.  They can be trimmed right after blooming but don't wait too long or you'll be trimming off next year's buds.  Too much nitrogen from lawn treatments can result in heavy green growtha and no blooms as Nitrogen in the lawn treatments results in very good leafy growth at the expense of blooms.  Other than that, the other thing you may want to do is check with the local Country Extension Agent to see if there were any invasive pests recently introduced or otherwise attacking hydrangeas.  If you want a contact, give me your county and I'll set you up.  I hope this helps.
Tom

Perennials

Tom Alonzo