Perennials/Calla Lily

Question
My Calla lily has never flowered in about three - four years. Can you advise where it should be planted and care it should be given. It is looking green and has plenty of strong foliage, but no flowers!

Answer
Hi Pat,
Thanx for your question.  If the plant is experiencing too much shade, this can cause flowering to decrease or become non-existent.  Use of fertilizers high in nitrogen can cause all green growth at the expense of flowering.  The soil should be moist but not soggy, free draining and even allowed to dry out from time to time.  The plant will benefit from direct sunlight 6 or more hours a day.  In very hot climates, the plant does better with afternoon shade.  Use bone meal to help induce blooming.  If you are using lawn chemicals (for the grass), make sure the chemicals are not leaching into the soil of your flower bed as these chemicals are high in nitrogen and will cause lush green growth at the expense of flowering.  I hope this helps.
Thanx,
Tom

Perennials

Tom Alonzo