What hibiscus can be panted in Michigan? Thank you

Hello George,

You have written about one of my favorite plants! Hibiscus Moscheutos, hardy hibiscus, will be very successful at your location if you are zone five or above. It is completely hardy in zone 5a, where I grew Lord and Lady Baltimore, which are red and pink, respectively. Both are gorgeous.

It grows 4 to 5 feet high and 2 to 3 feet wide, and is actually a small shrub. It blooms from July to September. It is extremely low maintenance, although it dislikes dry soil. I used to water mine, and deadhead the spent flowers. Full sun is best, and a location with some protection from wind will help to preserve the gorgeous flowers.

At the end of the season, in late autumn, cut it back to about 4-5 inches from the ground. It will be slow to emerge in the spring (don't mistake it for death and remove it!) but then the growth is very rapid. Once it appears give it fertilizer. Regular fertilizer produces the best flowers.

One caveat - Japanese beetles like this plant! But it didn't stop me from growing both of these. It is highly recommended by botanic gardens.

Is this helpful? If it is not, and you need more information, please don't hesitate to write again.

Donna Mack

I am a Master Gardener through the University of Illinois Extension.I can answer questions about pest control, especially voles, rabbits, chipmunks and slugs, and have done so on Dave's Garden Watchdog under the name DonnaMack since 2002. I have a lot of expertise with ornamental grass, hardy roses and old garden roses, minor bulbs such as ornigothalem, chionodoxa and allium as well as most types of lilies. I am knowledgeable about organic methods and I grow perennials, annuals and vegetables from seed.

I have been gardening since 1998 and have raised roses, peonies, annuals and perennials (the latter two from seed), and numerous shrubs and trees, many of which I have planted. I am familiar with many organic techniques and use as many as I can but know the chemical solutions, which are most benign and how to use them. I LOVE gardening, and I get great satisfaction with helping others so that they reach the state of joy that gardening can bring to those inclined to it.

The American Lily Society

I have numerous entries in Garden Watchdog under the name DonnaMack. I write three to four columns a year for the Kane County Chronicle.

I successfully completed the University of Illinois Master Gardening Program in March of 2013. I did this to augment extensive self study through books (I've probably read 100) and an arts degree, which helps with aesthetics. I am purely an amateur, but one who studies, reads, and documents extensively. My gardening log began in 2000, and has hundreds of entries, so that I can use my successes and failures to assist other gardeners.

The University of Illinois created a Team with Work Award for master gardeners who work together to create what they regard as an outstanding project. I won this award as part of a group that created "The Idea Garden", which suggests plants for home growers to attempt to grow. My personal contribution was salvias - ornamental and culinary hardy and tender perennials, which I grew from seed and tended through the season.

I am currently overseeing and performing the maintenance of two large English style gardens in a suburb of Chicago, and recently acquired the management and redesign of a large estate garden(2015.)