Perennials/Transplant Buttercups

I just bought a bunch of buttercups 1 gal.  containers fromu Walmart at a very cheap price.  When is best time to transplant from container and what height should I cut back plant?  If good answer.  May go buy more.

Greetings, Wayne, and Happy spring.

First, let's make certain that I am identifying your plant correctly. By buttercups, do you mean ranunculus? The very double buttercup? (Please click on this link to see what I think you mean.)

If you are referring to ranunculus, it does well in temperatures between 10 and 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Unless you are in a very cold place you can transplant them now.

Find a place with good drainage. If waterlogged, they will rot. Use good quality soil. Any commercially available potting soil will do. Plant them at the same level that they are at in the pots you purchased. Give them full sun.

If in bloom, you can cut the flowers at any time. In fact, the more you cut them, the more they will bloom. So if they have flowers now and you would like to cut them, feel free.

Is this clear? If not, sing out. And of course, if I have the wrong plants, let me know and I will find the right one.

Best wishes.

Donna Mack

I am a Master Gardener through the University of Illinois Extension.I can answer questions about pest control, especially voles, rabbits, chipmunks and slugs, and have done so on Dave's Garden Watchdog under the name DonnaMack since 2002. I have a lot of expertise with ornamental grass, hardy roses and old garden roses, minor bulbs such as ornigothalem, chionodoxa and allium as well as most types of lilies. I am knowledgeable about organic methods and I grow perennials, annuals and vegetables from seed.

I have been gardening since 1998 and have raised roses, peonies, annuals and perennials (the latter two from seed), and numerous shrubs and trees, many of which I have planted. I am familiar with many organic techniques and use as many as I can but know the chemical solutions, which are most benign and how to use them. I LOVE gardening, and I get great satisfaction with helping others so that they reach the state of joy that gardening can bring to those inclined to it.

The American Lily Society

I have numerous entries in Garden Watchdog under the name DonnaMack. I write three to four columns a year for the Kane County Chronicle.

I successfully completed the University of Illinois Master Gardening Program in March of 2013. I did this to augment extensive self study through books (I've probably read 100) and an arts degree, which helps with aesthetics. I am purely an amateur, but one who studies, reads, and documents extensively. My gardening log began in 2000, and has hundreds of entries, so that I can use my successes and failures to assist other gardeners.

The University of Illinois created a Team with Work Award for master gardeners who work together to create what they regard as an outstanding project. I won this award as part of a group that created "The Idea Garden", which suggests plants for home growers to attempt to grow. My personal contribution was salvias - ornamental and culinary hardy and tender perennials, which I grew from seed and tended through the season.

I am currently overseeing and performing the maintenance of two large English style gardens in a suburb of Chicago, and recently acquired the management and redesign of a large estate garden(2015.)