I have one that is a year old.  I have just got done treating it for the looper caterpillar.  It was returning to good health when it started to lose all it leaves.  It started at the bottom and now it is travelling up to the top.  The leaves so have black and dark brown spots on them.  Not like droppings.  The chewing has stopped but healthy leaves are on the ground.
What can I do?

Hello Mary. I am sorry that you are having such difficulty.

I think that your plant may simply be recovering from the stress of being chomped and then being treated with chemicals. It may be in a bit of shock. I suggest continuing to care for it by monitoring it and seeing that it is well watered, but (and you probably know this) do not apply any fertilizer or stress it in any way. It is a young plant, and may simply need some time.

Do remove the black and spotted leaves, and keep the remaining foliage dry. Water the soil only. Keep monitoring it so we can make sure it has not developed a secondary condition.

Keep me posted!

Best wishes,

Donna Mack

I am a Master Gardener through the University of Illinois Extension.I can answer questions about pest control, especially voles, rabbits, chipmunks and slugs, and have done so on Dave's Garden Watchdog under the name DonnaMack since 2002. I have a lot of expertise with ornamental grass, hardy roses and old garden roses, minor bulbs such as ornigothalem, chionodoxa and allium as well as most types of lilies. I am knowledgeable about organic methods and I grow perennials, annuals and vegetables from seed.

I have been gardening since 1998 and have raised roses, peonies, annuals and perennials (the latter two from seed), and numerous shrubs and trees, many of which I have planted. I am familiar with many organic techniques and use as many as I can but know the chemical solutions, which are most benign and how to use them. I LOVE gardening, and I get great satisfaction with helping others so that they reach the state of joy that gardening can bring to those inclined to it.

The American Lily Society

I have numerous entries in Garden Watchdog under the name DonnaMack. I write three to four columns a year for the Kane County Chronicle.

I successfully completed the University of Illinois Master Gardening Program in March of 2013. I did this to augment extensive self study through books (I've probably read 100) and an arts degree, which helps with aesthetics. I am purely an amateur, but one who studies, reads, and documents extensively. My gardening log began in 2000, and has hundreds of entries, so that I can use my successes and failures to assist other gardeners.

The University of Illinois created a Team with Work Award for master gardeners who work together to create what they regard as an outstanding project. I won this award as part of a group that created "The Idea Garden", which suggests plants for home growers to attempt to grow. My personal contribution was salvias - ornamental and culinary hardy and tender perennials, which I grew from seed and tended through the season.

I am currently overseeing and performing the maintenance of two large English style gardens in a suburb of Chicago, and recently acquired the management and redesign of a large estate garden(2015.)