Perennials/planting

Question
QUESTION: Hello,
I live near Charlotte, NC.  The nursery had some gorgeous rudebekia and echinecea so I bought a large plant of each.  I put them in the ground today, kinda cloudy, and I'm watering well.  I read they should be planted or transplanted in spring.  So, do you think they will live to bloom next spring?  Thank you!

ANSWER: Greetings, Lauren!

You are not alone. I purchased, just last week, 3 lovely rudebekia for a friend. Both it and echinacea are easy care, hardy plants even here, in a climate much colder than yours,
surviving our zone 5 winters with ease. You should see them all returning here, with a vengeance, in the spring.

When advice is given as to the appropriate planting time for some perennials, there is an assumption that the plants will be somewhat neglected. Therefore, individuals are instructed to plant them in spring, mostly because of the ample rainfall. But you can plant almost any perennial at any time if you are willing to take the right steps - and you are taking them!

Congratulations on being a very smart gardener. You put your plants in on a cloudy day (ideal) and you are keeping them well watered (again, ideal).

Look for them in the spring!

If you have any more questions or concerns, please feel free to write again.

Best wishes,

Donna

QUESTION: Donna,  Thank so much for all your help!  If it doesn't rain, should I water them weekly - or more than that since they are newly planted? THANKS!!!

Answer
Hello again, Lauren!

If it doesn't rain, definitely water them. If there is no rain at all, and it is warm, as much as three times a week would be good. It is always a good idea to have a look at them and see how they are doing. Watch for wilting. If it happens, add water more frequently, but not all at once!

Another part of the equation is the manner in which you water. I like to put a soaker hose around plants and set my timer for 15 minutes. That way they get a good deep soaking, in which case once a week is fine. But if you are watering from a can the plants do not have as much an opportunity to be soaked to their roots, which is why watering from a can should be done more often.

Does this make sense?

Again, please feel free to ask more questions.

Donna

Perennials

Donna Mack