Perennials/mock orange

Question
My mock orange bush bloomed the first year I transplanted it from the nursery, but then didn't bloom again. In 2010 we moved it, it bloomed the first year and then quit again. Do you know if that's typical, should I be doing that yearly? Any ideas you have would be appreciated. Thank you for your time, MC.

Answer
Greetings, Mary.

I have researched the reblooming mock orange and I cringe to tell you that you may have been sold, as reblooming, a once blooming mock orange. Yours seems to predate the reblooming cultivars, which sound wonderful. All of the material I am finding make reference to the rebloomers being new in 2011.

Has it ever rebloomed? It is a very tolerant shrub, and can take a great deal of abuse, including a lack of water. I don't think that you are doing anything wrong. I just think that it is not in the nature of your mock orange to rebloom.

Do you live near the nursery at which the shrub was purchased? If so, stop by and ask for a replacement. If you bought it online, a note to them might get you a replacement. I once got mislabeled peonies replaced five years after purchasing them from a reputable on line  supplier. You don't necessarily need proof of purchase.

I am sorry to give you what must be disappointing news. Please do let me know of the response from the seller. Really good sellers make good on their products even years after purchase.

Best wishes,

Donna  

Perennials

Donna Mack