Perennials/daisies not pruned

A year after I planted what I think is a daisy, the foot-tall plant came back in twisting stalks almost four feet tall.  Once they withered, small green leaves began appearing along the length of the stalks.  Now, with a late snow just melting, I'm not sure what do, if anything, to promote healthy growth this summer.

Thanks for your attention

Greetings Larry,

Congratulations! You sound like you have a very healthy plant! It has gone from one foot to four, and new leaves are appearing. That is just excellent.

Promoting healthy growth consists of proper watering and mild fertilization. It sounds as though you have good soil, so you won't need much fertilization. Your plant is responding well. I would just suggest fertilizing it with compost or, for a little boost, a complete balanced fertilizer (10-10-10) or 10-15-15. Avoid high nitrogen fertilizers. They cause your plant to grow very rapidly, and become weak and disease prone. And remember, compost also serves as fertilizer. So if you would rather not buy a separate fertilizer, it is not necessary to do so.

The only other thing you need to do is remove any debris around your plant. I do that with my perennials every year. And don't let it dry out.

Does this make sense? Please feel free to write gain with any questions or concerns.

Best wishes,

Donna Mack

I am a Master Gardener through the University of Illinois Extension.I can answer questions about pest control, especially voles, rabbits, chipmunks and slugs, and have done so on Dave's Garden Watchdog under the name DonnaMack since 2002. I have a lot of expertise with ornamental grass, hardy roses and old garden roses, minor bulbs such as ornigothalem, chionodoxa and allium as well as most types of lilies. I am knowledgeable about organic methods and I grow perennials, annuals and vegetables from seed.

I have been gardening since 1998 and have raised roses, peonies, annuals and perennials (the latter two from seed), and numerous shrubs and trees, many of which I have planted. I am familiar with many organic techniques and use as many as I can but know the chemical solutions, which are most benign and how to use them. I LOVE gardening, and I get great satisfaction with helping others so that they reach the state of joy that gardening can bring to those inclined to it.

The American Lily Society

I have numerous entries in Garden Watchdog under the name DonnaMack. I write three to four columns a year for the Kane County Chronicle.

I successfully completed the University of Illinois Master Gardening Program in March of 2013. I did this to augment extensive self study through books (I've probably read 100) and an arts degree, which helps with aesthetics. I am purely an amateur, but one who studies, reads, and documents extensively. My gardening log began in 2000, and has hundreds of entries, so that I can use my successes and failures to assist other gardeners.

The University of Illinois created a Team with Work Award for master gardeners who work together to create what they regard as an outstanding project. I won this award as part of a group that created "The Idea Garden", which suggests plants for home growers to attempt to grow. My personal contribution was salvias - ornamental and culinary hardy and tender perennials, which I grew from seed and tended through the season.

I am currently overseeing and performing the maintenance of two large English style gardens in a suburb of Chicago, and recently acquired the management and redesign of a large estate garden(2015.)