Perennials/West Facing Patio/ plant options

I have a west-facing patio that's mostly shade until the late afternoon when the Sun is hot and setting. I would like to know what flowering plants preferably container plants that I could grow With these conditions. I believe I'm Zone 8B zip code 77407.

Plants for high heat
Plants for high heat  

Plants for high heat
Plants for high heat  
Greetings Jennifer,

I am so pleased that you sent me this question. I had a west facing patio and a south facing patio, and even in zone 5a grew occasionally had 100 degree days. I grew dozens of plants under those conditions.The ones marked with * can be grown from seed. Almost all of them are in your local garden center, and they are very inexpensive. Some of them were:

Verbena bonariensis*, verbena canadensis, verbena Homestaad Purple, verbena Appleblossum

Nicotiana (jasmine tobacco)*

Nasturtiums, particularly whirlibird, which clumps rather than climbs*

Petunias: tidal wave silver and double cascade petunias are particularly nice*

Calla lilies

Cynoglossum in blue and pink*

All types of pelargoniums, including the scented ones

Annual grasses: pennisetum sateceum (red), villosum (white), eragrostis tef*

Salvias: any of the tender ones like viridis, farinacea (like Victoria, which also come in white and red)*

Borage in blue and white*

Impatiens balsamina*

This is a west view of my former home. I grew other things in pots on the south side, and that was even hotter.

There are many other plants that can be grown this way!

If this is not clear or you need more information, please do not hesitate to get back in touch.

Best wishes,

Donna Mack

I am a Master Gardener through the University of Illinois Extension.I can answer questions about pest control, especially voles, rabbits, chipmunks and slugs, and have done so on Dave's Garden Watchdog under the name DonnaMack since 2002. I have a lot of expertise with ornamental grass, hardy roses and old garden roses, minor bulbs such as ornigothalem, chionodoxa and allium as well as most types of lilies. I am knowledgeable about organic methods and I grow perennials, annuals and vegetables from seed.

I have been gardening since 1998 and have raised roses, peonies, annuals and perennials (the latter two from seed), and numerous shrubs and trees, many of which I have planted. I am familiar with many organic techniques and use as many as I can but know the chemical solutions, which are most benign and how to use them. I LOVE gardening, and I get great satisfaction with helping others so that they reach the state of joy that gardening can bring to those inclined to it.

The American Lily Society

I have numerous entries in Garden Watchdog under the name DonnaMack. I write three to four columns a year for the Kane County Chronicle.

I successfully completed the University of Illinois Master Gardening Program in March of 2013. I did this to augment extensive self study through books (I've probably read 100) and an arts degree, which helps with aesthetics. I am purely an amateur, but one who studies, reads, and documents extensively. My gardening log began in 2000, and has hundreds of entries, so that I can use my successes and failures to assist other gardeners.

The University of Illinois created a Team with Work Award for master gardeners who work together to create what they regard as an outstanding project. I won this award as part of a group that created "The Idea Garden", which suggests plants for home growers to attempt to grow. My personal contribution was salvias - ornamental and culinary hardy and tender perennials, which I grew from seed and tended through the season.

I am currently overseeing and performing the maintenance of two large English style gardens in a suburb of Chicago, and recently acquired the management and redesign of a large estate garden(2015.)