Perennials/Please identify.

Question
Plant
Plant  
I live in north central Massachusetts in Zone 5.  Attached is a picture or two of a shrub a landscaper planted in my yard about ten years ago. It is in full bloom right now. Can you identify it for me? Can you tell me anything about its care, varieties, etc.?  

Many thanks,

Steven DiCastro MD

Answer
Hi Dr. DiCastro,
Thanx for your question.  The shrub looks an awful lot like Weigelia which is very commonly available in nurseries across the temperate zones of the U.S.  My brother has one in his backyard.  Beautiful flowering shrub and nice foliage too.  

This shrub has performed well here in Kansas City in temps up to 110F+, after 6 weeks of drought with absolutely no rain and winters of down to -12F, snow, sleet, heavy rains, winds.  Doesn't seem to be affected by any particular pests of note.  Requires full sun and adequate drainage.  I wouldn't put it somewhere that stays too damp.  It is a pretty maintenance free shrub.  You can trim it right after it blooms if you like.  Too far later might result in less blooms the next year.

I hope this helps.

Tom

Perennials

Tom Alonzo