Periodontics/retromolar pad swelling

I am in a quandary. I had all my wisdom teeth removed over 30 years ago. they were impacted. I had lock jaw last year due to a muscle spasm in my masseter muscle, right side.Have been diagnosed with myofascial pain syndrome.

Now I have pain, mainly in the retromolar pad area, lower right side, and on the pad itself for many months. The doctor feels it is due to an irritated operculum, and that the area had experienced trauma before, maybe something got caught between tooth and gum, but it looks like it healed, with a white line. advise me to keep the area very clean. Helps a little, but not 100%.It feels like the area swells from time to time, and I feel like the masseter has swollen too, especially after eating or a stressful day. He does not feel it is infected, and does not understand why i should feel such pain,as it is not hign enough to feel he said. The top tooth is not hitting it.
He said if he lazers it down, it could be worse. Any thoughts? Thanks for your help.

Please see a local periodontist for a consultation.  Since your situation is not very straightforward, I cannot give you an answer without a clinical examination and x-ray to review.

p.s. sorry for the late response, just came back from my vacation.

John Kong, DDS,

I am a board-certified periodontist and an expert on dental implants. I am currently in private practice at Better Living through Dentistry. I can answer questions related to the treatment of periodontitis (gum disease), dental implants, sinus lifts, bone grafts, gum grafts, surgical exposure of teeth, and minor orthodontics.

I have been practicing periodontics and placing dental implants since 2006 in Forest Hills, Queens, NY at Better Living through Dentistry. I am currently an attending and Chief of Implantology at Flushing Hospital Medical Center.

American Board of Periodontology, American Academy of Periodontics, American Dental Association, New York State Dental Association

Wesleyan University / Amherst College, BA; SUNY Stony Brook Dental School, DDS; University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Certificate in Periodontics; New York University, 1-year program in Full-Mouth Reconstruction; Certified in Invisalign

Northeast Society of Periodontists Achievement Award