Periodontics/deep scaling beneath gums

I'm an 82 year old lady and have all my natural teeth, except for the 4 wisdom teeth. My dentist recommended that I get a deep scaling, and I wonder if this is necessary at my age. I'll be getting a novacaine injection for this, and I'm concerned of the effects of novacaine on my body at my age. What should I tell my dentist?

If you have periodontal disease it should be treated at any age. After all you want to be healthy and prevent infection/tooth loss.

The local anesthetic (Novocain is not used anymore). Your dentist reviews your medical history to make your care safe.  I would suggest simply discussing your concerns with your dentist so he/she can make you comfortable.

Good luck,

Edward H. Segal, DDS, FICD

I am a board certified Periodontist available to answer questions about periodontal disease and its treatment, gum recession, and treatment options. The use of laser treatment for gum disease. The use of implants to replace lost teeth, rapid orthodontics, also called PAOO or Wilckodontics(tm).

Board certified and licensed Periodontist practicing for over 14 years. Previous clinical professor at University of Illinois.

American Academy of Periodontology, Midwest Society of Periodontology, Illinois Society of Periodontists, American Dental Association, Illinois State Dental Society, Chicago Dental Society, American Academy of Oral Medicine, Fellow of the International College of Dentists, Academy of Osseointegration, American Dental Society of Anesthesiology

DDS - SUNY Buffalo 1986 - 1990 General Practice Residency - Michael Reese Hospital 1990-1991 Residency in Periodontics and Implants - Univ. of Maryland 1992-1994

Past President of Illinois Society of Periodontists. Past Trustee of Illinois State Dental Society. Vice-Speaker of Illinois State Dental Society. Past President NW Suburban Branch of Chicago Dental Society.