Periodontics/gum inflammation

Question
please see tooth 10
please see tooth 10  
I have gum inflammation above tooth 10 (the tooth left of the implant.) From the attached x-ray, please tell me what you think may be causing this inflammation? Can it be due to a poor fitting crown?

Answer
Yes,you are quite right. The problems with the tooth and the surrounding gum are caused by the poorly fitting crown. It has too bulky and probably also leaking margins. However, there is also an infection in the bone around the root, not only in the gum. The nerve tissue inside the tooth seems to have died and the tooth urgently needs root canal treatment. The crown margins must be evened out and sealed or a new crown must be made. There is also a slight problem caused by the implant next to tooth 10. The implant has been placed so close to the tooth, that there is only a very thin layer of bone left on the side of the tooth. If the treatment of the infection around tooth 10 is delayed, the thin bone layer might be lost very rapidly.
I advice you to book an appointment with a periodontist as soon as possible.

Periodontics

Marketta Hormia, DDS, PhD