Periodontics/root canal on crowned tooth due to bone loss

Dear Doctor,

I had a cavity on the edge of my first molar, it has been filled and crowned 10 years ago. I had a crown because, filling keeps coming out due to bite pressure.

Dentist noticed horizontal bone loss for adjacent tooth and suggested removing crown and going for root canal.

There is no pain on my first molar.
Tooth looks healthy after removing the crown.

Does it require root canal? How does root canal helps in my case?

A root canal is needed when the pulp tissue, the inside living tissue of the tooth is necrotic (no longer alive) or becoming necrotic.
A hole is made into the top of the tooth so small files can be used to clean out the canals. A sealer is placed inside to seal the canals.
Horizontal bone loss is from bacteria in the gums causing enough inflammation to break the gum-tooth seal and infecting the bone.

I would suggest seeing a periodontist for an evaluation if possible. Good luck.

Edward H. Segal, DDS, FICD

I am a board certified Periodontist available to answer questions about periodontal disease and its treatment, gum recession, and treatment options. The use of laser treatment for gum disease. The use of implants to replace lost teeth, rapid orthodontics, also called PAOO or Wilckodontics(tm).

Board certified and licensed Periodontist practicing for over 14 years. Previous clinical professor at University of Illinois.

American Academy of Periodontology, Midwest Society of Periodontology, Illinois Society of Periodontists, American Dental Association, Illinois State Dental Society, Chicago Dental Society, American Academy of Oral Medicine, Fellow of the International College of Dentists, Academy of Osseointegration, American Dental Society of Anesthesiology

DDS - SUNY Buffalo 1986 - 1990 General Practice Residency - Michael Reese Hospital 1990-1991 Residency in Periodontics and Implants - Univ. of Maryland 1992-1994

Past President of Illinois Society of Periodontists. Past Trustee of Illinois State Dental Society. Vice-Speaker of Illinois State Dental Society. Past President NW Suburban Branch of Chicago Dental Society.