Periodontics/Tooth infection #2

Dear Dr. Siegelman: Thank you for your answer about my symptom-free tooth infections.  Your response struck me as being perfect, but I kept thinking: OK, so you don't take your high blood pressure medicine, you feel fine, and then one day you wake up dead, or whatever.
  Now in the case of my infections: OK, you've had them for years, you feel fine and then..........well, what will happen? After having them for years, will the infection suddenly start to spread wildly?  Please understand I am not challenging you, it is just that having symptom free tooth infections is not something I can find on the net, for whatever that's worth.

Dear Randolph,

Since I have not seen your radiographs its very possible that your dentist has not made an accurate diagnosis.  In the area of tooth #2 it is possible that your dentist may be misinterpreting the position of the maxillary sinus and seeing it as a possible dark spot that he is thinking is an infection.  If you do however have an infection I cannot tell you how it will or will not affect you.  It could possibly remain a low grade chronic infectiion that you never feel or it could get worse.  Again, I just don't know.  If I could see the radiograph though I could give you a lot more information.  If you want to do more searching on the net look up periapical infection.

Dr. S

Bryan M. Siegelman, DDS

I can answer any question relating to the diagnosis and treatment of periodontal disease. I can also answer questions relating to the placement and restoration of dental implants.

I have been practicing Perioodontics for the past 20 years. I limit my practice to periodontics and implant dentistry. I am a diplomate of the American Academy of Periodontology. I am in private practice in Pennsylvania and am on staff at the local hospital in my home town. My practice website is

American Academy of Periodontology, Academy of Osseointegration, American Dental Association, American College of Dentists, Pennsylvania Dental Association

I have a BS from Muhlenberg College, I did a general practice residency at St. Joeseph's Hospital and Medical Center in Paterson, NJ. I received my DDS degree and specialty certificate from the University of Maryland Dental School.