Periodontics/gum growth

Question
I have always heard that gums don't grow back if they recede, so I assumed that means they never grow or self repair. Is it possible for healthy gums to grow?

Is it possible or normal for gum tissue to "grow" inward into a cavity sitting just above the gum line of a molar?

If it is, then is it necessary to cut the gum away to work on the cavity and will new healthy gum grow back to replace what was cut away? Or can the gum just be moved away from the tooth to do the work... in this case will the gum re-attach itself to the tooth or will it be damaged?

thank you in advance.

Answer
Gums do grow just like every other living tissue in the body.  In general once gums recede and expose the root they do not spontaneously grow back and cover the root.

Gum tissue can certainly grow into a cavity and may need to be removed to acccess all the decay.  Sometimes the gum can be moved out of the way to be able to access the cavity.  It depends on the situation.  

Best of Luck
Dr. Scharf

Periodontics

David Scharf