I recently had a couple of teeth pulled. I have a bit more dental work that needs to be done and then I want to get implants for tooth #3 and #14. My dentist and I have already had a preliminary discussion so I know it can be done and how much it'll cost. However, I have a some questions.

How long does the process take from start to finish?

Is it best to do 1 tooth at a time, especially since they are on opposite side of my mouth?

I assume you are awake for the procedure, is it worse than having a tooth pulled?

In all I've had 5 teeth pulled these 2 and 3 wisdom teeth, I have never needed pain medication afterwards will I after this procedure?

Also, I have a vitamin deficiency so I don't heal as quickly as most (last tooth pulled 12/4 still have a hole in gums).

Thank you

Pam, generally we wait around 12 weeks after an extraction before placing implants.  Generally in the upper we wait around 12 weeks for the implants to integrate before restoring them.  Placing the implants is usually easier and less painful than removing a tooth, and it is really up to you as to whether or not you would do one at a time or both at the same time.  Generally, I reduced the fee if patients do both at the same time as it reduces the treatment time.  You could be put to sleep for this but that will increase the cost and really is not necessary.  For what it is worth I charge about $1800 per implant and would probably charge about $1700 each for two.  That does not include the crown that goes onto the implant. Hope this helps.

Dr. Siegelman

Bryan M. Siegelman, DDS

I can answer any question relating to the diagnosis and treatment of periodontal disease. I can also answer questions relating to the placement and restoration of dental implants.

I have been practicing Perioodontics for the past 20 years. I limit my practice to periodontics and implant dentistry. I am a diplomate of the American Academy of Periodontology. I am in private practice in Pennsylvania and am on staff at the local hospital in my home town. My practice website is

American Academy of Periodontology, Academy of Osseointegration, American Dental Association, American College of Dentists, Pennsylvania Dental Association

I have a BS from Muhlenberg College, I did a general practice residency at St. Joeseph's Hospital and Medical Center in Paterson, NJ. I received my DDS degree and specialty certificate from the University of Maryland Dental School.